Basically, I can sit on the couch all day and eat nothing but greasy take-out, cookies and chips and my weight (down to the point) and measurements are exactly the same as if I burned 300-400 calories exercising and ate 100% clean/unprocessed foods/drank nothing but water and counted calories. During the day the scale will budge a little, but almost every morning it is the same weight.
I am having a lot of trouble with this because after doing some extensive internet research I have found that most people who have lost weight successfully with hypothyroidism are on a very low-carb diet (and very low grain/rice diet) which I am finding would be difficult as a vegan. Just one cup of chickpeas has 45-55g of carbs which is more carbs than these people are eating per day.
My exercise/eating habits are usually like so:
- I walk/jog 4-4.5 mph on my treadmill for 30-45 minutes every day. Sometimes I'll take a break on one day a week, but I feel better if I do it every day.
- I do strength training 4-5 days a week and this involves squats, lunges, bicep curls and tricep dips.
- I take a multi-vitamin, b12 supplement and l-lysine supplement every day and a vitamin d supplement once a week.
- I drink at least 5 glasses of water throughout the day and lots of tea as well.
- Breakfast is usually 1-2 pieces of fruit an hour after taking my thyroid medicine.
- Lunch is usually a large salad (spinach, romaine, tomatoes, peppers, red onion, cucumbers) and low-calorie dressing.
- Dinner is usually a cup of beans with veggies.
I am wondering if anyone here has any tips, advice and especially success stories for losing weight as a vegan with hypothyroidism. I would appreciate it so much.