The internet was down & I wanted to make pie, so I actually used one of my vegan cookbooks (which I never use & its truly a crime!). I used the Brandy-Apple Pie recipe from "Vegan Planet" and just left out the brandy and modified the top crust. Enjoy!
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup margarine, cut into small pieces (I used Earth Balance)
1/4 cup ice water, or as needed
5 large Granny Smith or other tart apples (I used 3 granny smith & two braeburn)
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar or natural sweetner
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp brandy
1 tsp margarine
1. Combine the flour and salt in a food processor. Blen in 2/3 cup margarine with short pulses until its crumbly. With the machine running, add water through feed tube until the dough just starts to hold together. Transfer to work surface, divide in half and flatten to form two disks. Wrap in plastic and refridgerate for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece of dough to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Fit the dough in the pie plate and trim the edges. (I actually did this on foil wrap and then put it unside down in the pie plate and tore off the wrap in strips, because it was hard to work with). Refridgerate the pie plate. ***now you can either roll out the top crust and refidgerate it, or leave it in the fridge and make a lattice crust later***
3. Peel, core and slice the apples and place in a large bowl. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, lemon juice, cornstarch and brandy (I omitted this) and stir to mix well. Spoon the apple pie mixture into the bottom crust and dot with the 1 tbsp soy margarine.
4. **For the Lattice Top**: Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to form a large circle. Using a knife, cut strips of dough about 1/2 inch wide. One at a time, lay the strips over the pie, going "over-under-over-under" with each one. I messed up at first, and then studied a photo of a pie to figure out. Then use a fork to press down the edges of the crust.
5. If using a regular crust, place it on the fruit and seal the edges. Use a fork or knife to create several steam holes in the top crust.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
the prehistoric food processor
my allspice grinding station. I suggest buying it pre ground! but if you want to use it whole, just put it through a coffee grinder & sift that through a tea ball to get out all the hard bits.
mmm apple mixture
tackling the mysterious lattice top crust