>Phenomenal french toast
2/3 cup low-fat, nondairy milk
4 teaspoons whole wheat pasty flower
1 1/2 teaspoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula(T6635+)
nutritional yeast flakes
pinch of salt (optional)
4 slices whole grain bread or whole greain sourdough bread
1. Place the milk, flower, nutritional yeast flakes, and salt in a small mixing bowl, and breat them togeather with a wire whisk to make a smooth, thin batter. Pourl the batter into a wide, shallow bowl.
2. Dip the bread slices, one at a time, into the batter, making sure that bolth sides are well saturated.
3. mist a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, or coat it with a thin layer of canola oil. Place the skilllet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the soaked bread slices in a single layer. If all four slices will not fit in the skillet comfortably, cook just two clices at a time.
4. When the bottoms of the bread slices are well browned, carefully turn each slice over using a metal spatula. Cook the other sides until they are a deep golden brown.
5. Slice each piece of French Toast diagonally into two triangles. Arrange the pieces attractively on two plates, and serve hot.
yield: 2 servings
The cook's secrets:
To test if the skillet is properly heated. Moisten your fingertips with water, and flick a few dropletes into the pan. If the droplets skitter rapidly across the bottom, then the skillet is exremely hot and the heat may be turned up too high. A nonstick skillet will work best. If you do not have a nonstick, a thin layer of canola oil must be added to the skillet between each batch to help keep the French Toast from sticking to the pan. Keep the first batch of French Toast warm by placing the cooked slices on a small, nonstick baking sheet in a 300F oven while the seccond batch is cooking. If you do not have a nonstick baking sheet, use a regular baking sheet misted with nontick cooking spray.
What is 1 1/2 teaspoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula(T6635+)??