It's *so* good! :D
3/4 lb (340g) wholemeal flour (I had to use a bit of white along with the wholemeal as I ran out)
1/4 level tsp cinnamon
1/4 level tsp nutmeg
1/2 level tsp mixed spice
1 1/2oz (45g) vegan margarine
1/2 lb (225g) soft brown sugar
i/2 lb (225g) sultanas
5 oz (140g) raisins
6 oz (170g) currants
1 oz (30g) chopped candied peel
2 oz (55g) glace cherries (quartered)
1 tbsp lemon juice (the recipe said rind of a lemon, but I didn't have one so added the juice as I thought it'd react with the bicarb and make it lighter too)
1/2 pint water
3/4 level tbsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1) Grease and line cake tin.
2) pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C/ Gas mark 4
3) Sift flour, salt, cinnamon into a bowl.
4) Rub in margarine then stir in sugar.
5) Mix fruit into the other ingredients.
6) Take 2tbsp of water away from the half pint and put in a saucepan. Heat gently.
7) Meanwhile stir through the rest of the water plus the lemon juice into the mixture.
8) Pour the warm water over the baking soda then stir the soda mixture through the cake mix gently.
9) Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for an hour, after which reduce the heat to gas mark 3 and bake for another hour or so.