Kat's Famous Un-Chicken Dumpling Soup!
*all amounts approximate, add more or less to taste!*
3 sm onions (I used 2 sm and a banana shallot!), sliced or chopped roughly
1 block frozen tofu, defrosted, and squeezed of excess water
6-8 cloves of elephant garlic (or 10+ regular), minced
6 sm-med carrots, sliced
1/2 head of cabbage, roughly chopped. (I cut an X into the top, then slice it like bread)
1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
1 hot chilie pepper, chopped with seeds and pith
veggie stock (i used about 2L), adjust to your pot
1TB dried basil
olive oil for sauteing
2c self raising flour
1tsp salt (I used onion salt)
4TB olive oil
pinch of baking powder
1c soy/rice/oat/almosnd milk (I used vanilla soy)
1/2c chopped fresh herbs (I used chives and rosemary mmmmmm....)
1) saute onions in olive oil over low heat until golden (about 20 min.)
2) add carrots, garlic, chilie pepper,tofu, basil and stock.
3) Cover, bring to a rolling boil, then lower heat to a rapid simmer. Simmer 5 minutes
4) add red pepper and cabbage (make sure the liquid isn't too close to the top of the pot). replace lid and prepare the dumplings:
5) For dumplings, mix all the stuff together in a medium bowl!
6) Drop dumpling mixture by big spoonfuls into soup. Replace lid and boil for about 20 mintes (no peeking!)
The dumplings turn the soup a bit creamy which is LOVELY! This is a complete meal in a bowl! If desired, serve with a side salad.