1.5 lbs of asparagus
2 chopped onions
1 Tbs. vegan margarine
6.5 c. light vegetable stock or water
.5 c. non-dairy cream
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Cut the tops off the asparagus and simmer in 1" of boiling water for about 4 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Cut the asparagus stalks into 1" pieces.
3. Saute the onions in margarine in a large saucepan, covered, for 5 minutes, without browning. Add the asparagus pieces and cook gently for 5-10 more minutes.
4. Stir in the stock or water, cover the pan, and leave the soup to simmer for about 30 minutes, until the asparagus pieces are very tender.
5. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor, then sieve it. Return it to the rinsed pan, add the cream, reheat without boiling and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
6. Reheat the tips in boiling water and use to garnish the soup.
This soup is good chilled as well as warm.
I made a few adjustments (as many of us in this community like to do). I didn't have any soy creamer, so I combined silk and some almonds in the food processor (I saw someone suggested to use soymilk and cashews in the memories, but almonds were the only nut I had--it worked!). I also added more margarine at the end along with a pinch of nutmeg. It's delicious! :)