2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup soy margarine, chilled
6 oz. soft tofu
1/3 cup soy milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Zest of 1 large lemon
1) Preheat oven to 400°F.
2) In large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3) Cut margarine into small cubes. Using fingers or 2 sharp knives, mix or cut margarine into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4) In food processor or blender, combine tofu, soy milk, and vanilla, pulsing until smooth. The mixture should have the consistency of yogurt. Pour mixture into flour mixture, stirring to combine thoroughly. Fold in lemon zest.
5) On lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/2" thickness. Cut into 3" rounds with biscuit cutter and place on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet.
6) Bake for 15 minutes, or until slightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving. Makes 8 scones.
1 cup lukewarm water
1 package fast-acting dry yeast
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/3 cup soy milk, plus additional for brushing loaves
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sesame or poppy seeds
1) In large mixing bowl, combine water, yeast, and sugar, stirring until dissolved.
2) Add soy milk and oil, mixing thoroughly.
3) Gradually stir in flour and salt. Using large rubber spatula or wooden spoon, mix until combined.
4) Transfer dough to floured surface and knead for 3-4 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Sprinkle on a little more flour as needed to prevent stickiness.
5) Place dough in clean, lightly oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place for 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
6) Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove risen dough to floured board and flatten into circle with hands. Divide dough into 6 equal parts.
7) Roll each part into a rope 1 1/2" wide and 12" long. Using 3 ropes, form braid, pressing ends together neatly. Do same with remaining 3 ropes. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and place loaves on it. Brush loaves with soy milk and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Let loaves rest for 10 minutes.
8) Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.