This evening I felt like a different and more mature type of cookie, so I decided to make biscotti.
Using leftover Organic spring mix coffee grinds that my boyfriend decided where no longer fresh enough to make coffee with, I altered the following recipe from vegweb.com for the beloved cranberry orange biscotti by Lois that I've seen mentioned around here before too: http://vegweb.com/recipes/appetizers/1694.shtml
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (earth balance reigns supreme!)
- 3/4 cup vegan sugar (I used non-refined cane sugar)
- 1/3 cup non dairy milk or water (I used lowfat vanilla almond)
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used 1/4 and made half the batch chocolate chip less)
- 1/3 cup fairly chopped almonds
- oil for baking pan, optional chocolate and margarine for dipping and wax or parchment paper
- 3 tablespoons coffee grounds or espresso grounds (flavored would work well too)
- *I didn't use it, but I think 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract or nut extract would be perfect to use*
Cream margarine and vegan sugar. Beat in the nondairy milk or water, coffee grinds, baking powder, and salt. Then add the flour and then the chips and nuts. On a greased baking sheet shape the dough into a loaf 3/4 inch high and 3 inches wide. Bake in a 325š oven for 35 minutes. , Cool a couple minutes and then transfer loaf from baking sheet and slice the loaf into 1/2 inch slices, perhaps on foil on a cutting board. Place slices on their bottom edge on cookie sheet, leaving a space between slices. Return to oven for 5 minutes on one side, remove from oven and flip sides for another 5 minutes of baking. Melt chocolate and margarine plus non dairy milk if needed over stove top or in microwave, dip in chocolate and cool on chosen paper, I move mine to the fridge to harden. Store in air tight container.
Serves: 2 dozen
Preparation time: 1 hours
Best when dunked in coffee or non dairy milk!!