Bring several cups of veggie stock to boil.
Add in the following order and several minutes apart:
- 3 or 4 large carrots, chopped, and about 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 or 4 large potatoes, diced
- 1 huge or 2 medium yams, diced (or more - the yams are the best part!
Let this all bubble away until the veggies are just starting to get tender. Meanwhile, add herbs and spices such as pepper, chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano, and cinnamon to taste. These are my essentials; I may also include a bay leaf or two and some rosemary or thyme and whatever else I find in the spice cupboard :)
At this point, add:
- about 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
- a medium zucchini, chopped
- a large red pepper, chopped
- a can of sweet corn
Once all the veggies are cooked, add a handful of nutritional yeast, a 1/2 cup to a cup of soy milk and a good squirt of Braggs or tamari sauce. Taste the soup and adjust the flavours as you see fit, them stir in enough flour or cornstarch, etc, to thicken the soup. Take a potato masher and merrily squish the soup to thicken more and help blend the flavours.
To serve, stir in some chopped parsley or cilantro if you'd like to add a little more colour. Eat with a good whole-grain bread to dip!
This soup is perfect for cold, cold winter nights.