Seves 4 - 6
Time: Prep - 10 minutes, Cooking - 30 minutes
1 large onion
5 cups mixed vegetables (carrot, rutabaga, parsnip, turnip, cauliflower, etc)
2 1/2 cups stock or water plus a stock cube
Salt and pepper
Flour or proprietary gravy powder to thicken
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 tsp mixed herbs
1/4 tsp salt
1. Chop the onion into large pieces.
2. Peel and prepare the vegetables and chop into bite-sized pieces.
3. Put the onion and vegetables into a pot and cover with the stock.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Season to taste.
6. Mix a little flour with a little water and stir into the stew to thicken. Add more if needed.
7. Place ingredients for the dumplings into a bowl and rub together until they resemble breadcrumbs. Add just enough water to bind.
8. Shape the mixture into 8 dumplings. (note: i usually make 16 small dumplings)
9 Bring the stew to the boil and drop in the dumplings. (note: At this point i add frozen peas, too.)
10. Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until dumplings are light and tender.
11. Serve at once.
(one last note: i usually make this with onion, potato, rutabaga, carrots, garlic, and peas.)