After a weekend of eating nothing but 'trash
food' (example: potato gems, french fries, pizza, vegan chicken
nuggets, soy ice cream...), I made this dish in an attempt to detoxify
our insides and start the week out with a protein boost!
5-Bean Enchiladas (makes 5)5 wholemeal flour tortillas
1/2 cup of raw brown rice (then cook 420 g (1 can) of 5 Bean Mix
420 g of basil-orgegano flavoured diced tomatoes (or your choice)
1/2 cup of diced tomotoes, natural flavour
1/2 cup of soy crumples or TVP ( I used TVP)
1 very small onion, diced
1/2 sweet red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup soy cheeese, for topping
olive oil to sautee pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tbs paprika
1/2 tsb ginger, powdered
1/4 tsp coriander, powdered
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp marjoram (add more if needed, as this should be the dominant flavour)
1. Begin to cook brown rice first, do not add salt or olive oil.
2. Heat 1 tbs of oil oil in pan (over low-medium heat) and sautee bell pepper and onion until slightly browned. Add 1/2 cup of natural flavoured diced tomatoes, soy crumbles (or TVP), 5 bean mix and stir. Allow liquid to reduce and add 1/4 cup of water, stir and reduce to low heat to simmer until no liquid remains. Mixture should be fairly dry.
3. Pre-heat oven to 220 C (perhaps around 400 F). Lightly oil a baking dish or pan or spray with non-stick oil.
4. When rice is cooked add to bean and vegetable mixture, stir until evenly mixed.
5. Heat tortillas in microwave for about 30 seconds, fill and roll tighly with mixture and place in oven dish or pan. Spoon sauce lengthways over each enchilada, but don't down them in sauce (see picture) or they will become overly soggy and refuse to be removed from oven dish in one piece.
6. Spinkle shredded cheese over enchiladas, cover with foil and bake for 20-30 mins.ed)