- 540g tin of chickpeas
- 8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1/2 tsp chopped sage
- 170g tinned Italian peeled plum tomatoes, drained
- 750ml vegetable stock (the original recipe had beef stock, but I
changed it, obviously)
- 110g soup pasta
- black pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- Empty the tin of chick-peas with all its liquid into a bowl. Squeeze
the peel off the chick-peas one by one, putting the peeled peas on a
plate. When all the chick-peas have been peeled, put them back into the
bowl with their own liquid.
- Put the olive oil and chopped onion into a large saucepan and turn
the heat to medium. When the onion becomes coloured a very pale gold, add
the garlic, rosemary, and sage. Stir once or twice. When the garlic
becomes coloured a very pale gold, add the tomatoes. Cook, stirring
occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the chick-peas, drained of their liquid, and cook for another 5
to 6 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the pan into a bowl, then puree them through a
food mill back into the pan. Add the stock and turn the heat to medium
- When the liquid comes to a boil, add the pasta, cover the pan, and
turn down the heat to medium. Cook until the pasta is al dente - tender
but firm to the bite. Add pepper to taste. Turn off the heat, stir in
the parsley, and serve.
From Marcella's Kitchen, by Marcella Hazan.
I've also got a new community: vegan_menu, to post what
you've eaten today - a bit like foodlist, but veg*n. Come and
check it out. :)