- Enough extra-virgin olive oil to suit your purposes
- 1/2 Red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 Green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 Yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 Yellow onion, cut into petals
- 1 Pack-thing of Boca Crumbles
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- Salt to taste (I used around 1/3 tsp)
Saute peppers and onion until just before onion starts to caramelize.
Add crumbles and saute until lightly browned.
Add water and cover, simmer for 20 minutes.
Add tomato paste and spices, simmer for 10 minutes, stirring briefly half way through.
Take off of heat and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
Serve on bed of lightly salted rice (I like brown basmati and so should you).
Note: If you use something aside from a flavored TVP you should probably include some garlic (2 cloves pressed or 3 minced, I'm guessing) in this as there is quite a bit of it in Boca crumbles.
Also, I should note that I am cooking at an altitude of 6,035 feet in a very dry climate so cooking times or liquid measurements may be slightly off. I doubt it would be much of an issue in this dish, though you may need to reduce the dish slightly at the end to thicken it a little.