Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
For the cups:
- 12 paper muffin cups
- one 12-ounce pkg. vegan chocolate chips
For the filling:
- 1 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1/2 cup powdered vegan sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cut the top half off of the muffin cups so that they are more shallow.
- Pour the chocolate chips into a glass bowl and melt them in the microwave. Microwave at 50% power for 2 minutes. Stir the chips gently, and let them sit for a minute or so. If the chocolate needs more melting, microwave those chippies again at half power for 30 seconds. Stir gently. Continue the process, stirring gently as you go. But be very careful not to overcook the chocolate or it'll seize up on you like day old Carolina roof tar. Alternatively, you can melt them over a double boiler.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon a portion of the chocolate into the middle of a muffin cup. Draw the chocolate up the edges of the cup with the back of the spoon. Coat the entire inside of the muffin cup with chocolate and place it into a muffin tin. Repeat with the remaining muffin cups and then put the whole muffin tin in the fridge so that the chocolate hardens.
- Combine the reduced-fat peanut butter, powdered vegan sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- When the chocolate in the muffin cups has hardened, pop the sweetened peanut butter into the microwave oven on full power for 1 minute. This will soften up the peanut butter so that it easily flows into the cups.
- Spoon a small portion of peanut butter into each of the chocolate-coated cups. Leave room at the top for an additional layer of chocolate, which we'll add later. Pop the candy back in the refrigerator to harden the peanut butter. This should take an hour or so.
- When the peanut butter filling has hardened, re-melt the chocolate chips in the microwave on half power for 30 to 60 seconds. Use a teaspoon to spread a layer of chocolate over the top of each candy. Chill the candy once again to set up the chocolate.
Makes 12 vegan peanut butter cups!
Recipe punked (and modified) from www.topsecretrecipes.com.