i know the name of the recipe sounds off-putting, but i regularly have mung bean and red bean (aka adzuki beans) as a dessert bean and it's really good. and healthy. My boy is weirded out by the thought of sweet beans though... if you're of the same sort, it might be best not to try them. But they are good! and healthy.
My notes are in parentheses.
Mung Bean Wraps
1 1/2 cups sweet rice flour (aka: glutinous rice flour or sticky rice flour)
1/2 cup rice flour as needed
3/4 cup boiling water (more as needed)
1 tsp pandan, rose, jasmine, or vanilla extract
(if you like sweet, add some sugar to the dough, but the filling should be sweet enough)
1) mix flours together. slowly pour in hot water to make dough. add extract and mix. when cool, knead until smooth.
2) make 20 dough balls with the dough. each should be about 1 inch in diameter. Press them flat to about 2 inches in diameter.
3) Bring 10 cups of water to boil. drop in 4-5 discs at a time and cook until the float to the top. Immediately fill with mung bean filling (recipe below). press edges together to seal. While still hot and gummy, roll in coconut. arrange wraps on dish and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
1/2 cup mung beans (you can replace these with adzuki beans)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1) soak beans for 3 hrs or over night. (I often successfully cook mung and adzuki beans without soaking but the recipe says to soak. up to you to soak or not, i guess)
2) boil beans in fresh water until you can squish them between your fingers but not mushy. Drain well.
3) mix in the rest of the ingredients.
(filling should be thick and pasteyish)
1 1/2 cups coconut
pinch of salt (you can probably omit this)
1) mix ingredients together
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup roasted black and/or white sesame seeds
1) mix these together.
(I personally don't think this needs to be any sweeter so you can omit the sugar or use less)
These would probably also be great with sweet sesame paste filling.
and you could omit the coconut coating and put these into a sweet dessert soup. like adzuki coconut dessert soup.
if anyone tries this, please let me know how it goes!