Serves: about 6
- 2 cups soymilk
- 8 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 7 fl oz soy vanilla pudding/custard
- 1/2 cup sugar*
- 1/4 cup rum**
- 6 fl oz soy cream (i.e. Soya Creem, Soya Dream*** or Silk Creamer)
- 6 fl oz soy milk
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp allspice
- Combine soymilk, whole cloves, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Heat over a medium setting, stirring constantly - with a whisk if possible, until the mixture comes to a boil. This process should take over 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine and mix the vanilla pudding and the sugar. Pour the mixture into the saucepan. Cook again over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in rum, soy cream, soy milk, nutmeg, ground cloves and allspice. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.
- * Originally I used 3/4 cup sugar for the recipe and I felt that was good but boarding on too sweet for others... Anyway what I am try to say is feel free to bung the sugar up to 3/4 cup if you would like it sweeter.
- ** The recipe I adapted this from used a heck of a lot more rum because their recipe was going for traditional boozy eggnog. However, I don't like the taste of alcohol (ethanol) but I do like the taste of rum. So I only added enough for rum flavour but not enough to taste the alcohol or be intoxicating. So if you want boozy eggnog add 1 cup rum. Don't leave out the rum, it is essential to the flavour. To prove it yourself try before and after adding the rum. It is a world of difference. If you or others can't have rum use imitation rum. Personally I would have used imitation rum if I could find it but I don't think they have such a thing in the UK (unlike the States). And of course since I haven't experimented with imitation rum I don't know the equivalency of 1/4 cup rum to ? tsp/tbl imitation rum. I just know you use less of imitation rum. Sorry.
- *** Soya Creem and Soya Dream are UK brands of vegan single cream substitutes. Silk Creamer is the closest US equivalent that I know of...