- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 4 cups salted water
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- ½ tsp cumin, ground
- ¼ tsp Hungarian sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp cloves, ground
- 1 tbs almond slivers *
- Cayenne pepper to taste **
- 3 tbs Peanut oil
- Simmer the green beans in the lightly salted water for about 30 to 45 minutes, until they are just tender
- Heat oil, garlic, paprika, cloves and cumin in a sauce pan for about two minutes, constantly stirring.
- Add almonds to sauce, stirring just enough to coat
- Drain green beans and pour on sauce, tossing to coat thoroughly
Notes: I understand that one should never to use canned in this and I don't know about frozen as I've only tried this recipe once.
* I didn't use the almonds as I don't like them and it was tasty. Since they aren't prepared in the sauce their absence doesn't affect the dish too much.
** I don't think that this was in the recipe I found originally. As such, it's pretty safe to call it optional.