|Tortilla Casserole (AKA Taco Pie)
Taken from Martha Stewart Living.
4 fresh poblano chillies
18 corn torillas (6 inches each) cut in half
7 Tbl. oil
10 oz. spinach, stems removed
1 small onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minched
2 cans (15 oz, each) black beans
1 cup soy sour cream
2 1/4 cups tomatillo salsa
1 1/2 cups grated cheese
1. roast chillies until they are black. (I stick them in the flame of the gas stove, others use the oven broiler.) Wrap them in plastic wrap and let them steam for 15 min in there. Peel off the skins, remove the seeds, stems and ribs, Cut chillies into 1 by 1/2 inch strips. Put in a bowl.
Preheat oven to 425F. Brush tortillas half on bother sides with 3 Tbl. oil. Arrange on baking sheets. Bake, roatating sheets halfway through, until the tortillas begin to bubble (just before crunchy) 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside and reduce oven temp to 350F.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Wash spinach, and drain but do not dry. Add spinach to skillet. Cover and cook until spinach has wilted, about 2 min. Season with 1/4 tsp. salt. Transfer to a cutting board; let cool slightly. Squeeze out liquid. Croarsely chop and set aside.
4. Heat 2 Tbl. oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt;cook stirring occasionally until translucent, about 2 min. Stir in chillies; cook until heated through, about 1 min. Transfer to bowl.
5. Heat remaining 2 Tbl. oil in same skillet. Add garlic and cook, stiring 30 seconds. Add beans and 1/2 tsp. salt. cook mashing slightly with the back of a wooden spoon, 2 min. transfer to bowl and set aside.
6. Line bottom of a 10 1/2" round, 2 1/2-3 inch deep baking dish with 12 tortillas halves, overlapping slightly. Layer with chile mixture, half the bean mixture and half the cream. Spread 3/4 cup salsa over top. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat for second layer, using spinach instead of the chiles. Top with remianing tortillas, 3/4 cup salsa and 1/2 cup cheese.
7. Bake until heated through, 45-60 min. cover with foil for last 15 min. if browning too quickly or becoming too dry. Let stand 15 min. before serving. Serve with more salsa and cream.
In full before cut up.