500g/ 1 lb spinach (palak)
2 small potatoes
1 inch/2.5 cm piece ginger grated (I used 1/4tsp of minced)
3 tbsp oil ( I used Coconut)
2 black cardamoms
1 inch/ 2.5 cm stick cinnamon (dalchini)
5-6 flakes garlic crushed to a rough paste
2 onions finely chopped (1 cup)
3 tomatoes chopped (1.5 cups)
.5 tsp tumeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp ground coriander (dhaniya powder)
.5 tsp red chilli powder
.5 garam masala (Did not use any because this town sucks, but good even without)
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1. Wash and peel potatoes. Cut into 1 inch/2.5 cm pieces. Cut away thick stalks of spinach. Chop leaves finely and diligently into thin strips or ribbons.
2. Heat oil. Reduce heat. Add black cardamoms and cinnamon. Wait for a minute. Add garlic and cook till it starts to change colour.
3.Add onions and stir fry till golden. Reduce heat. Add tumeric powder, ground coriander, chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well on low heat for a minute.
4. Add ginger. Stir for a few seconds. Add tomatoes and stir fry for 3-4 minutes till well blended.
5.Add potatoes. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes. Cook covered for 10 minutes, sprinkling a little water occasionally, till potatoes turn soft.
6. Add spinach. Continue cooking, without covering, for about 10 minutes, till the spinach gets wilted and is well blended with the potatoes.
7. Serve hot with any bread or Basmati