1.3 kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 bunches baby english spinach, trimmed, washed (though im sure frozen would work)
plenty of wholemeal lasagna sheets (or normal, or a mix)
500 g vegan ricotta (make using a bit less than 500 gram firm tofu, mashed with squeeze lemon, bit of nutritional yeast n salt and a tablespoon of tofutti cream cheese)
4 tablespoons basil pesto *this is easy to make with a bunch of basil, handful of pinenuts, some salt and a big spoon of fake parm all crushed in the mortar and pestle or processed.*
big tablespoon vegan marg
heaped tablespoon flour
about two cups soy milk
fake parm, soy cheese or nutritional yeast to top.
1. Preheat oven to 200C
2. Place pumpkin on greased baking tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and season with sea salt and ground black pepper. Roast in over for 45 min or until tender. (note: next time i will make it a lot quicker by just pouring pupmkin into big bowl, covering with cling wrap and microwaving for 8 min. I don't think it matters too much).
Now transfer to a bowl and mash with a fork
3. Heat remaining oil in a frypan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, then add spinach and nutmeg. stir occasionally, cooking for around 3-4 min. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Place sheet/s of pasta to cover bottom of large oven tin/lasagna tray. Spread half of the mashed pumpkin evenly over the pasta. Top with a second pasta sheet layer. Crumble the fake ricotta over and spread pesto on top of fake ricotta. Top with a third pasta sheet layer. Spread spinach mixture evenly over pasta. Top with fourth pasta sheet, add the remaining pumpkin then top with final pasta sheet layer.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add flour, stirring lots. Slowly add milk over medium heat to the mixture, making a roux sauce. stir lots. you may only need to add 1 and half cups of the soy milk. When thickened and smooth season with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the lasagna and sprinkle with fake parm, nutritional yeast, etc.
6. Bake in preheated 200 C oven, uncovered, for 50 min or until golden brown.
This recipe makes large lasagna, so make sure its a deep and large tin. Once cooked, divide into serves and freeze leftovers- reheats beautifully! :)