I’m hopelessly addicted to this recipe, as well as the rajma masala (kidney bean) variant. My tweaks in bold.
Punjabi Chole (Chick Peas)
Tomatoes 2 medium (1 cup chopped) my variation: 15 oz canned
Onion 1 small (1/2 cup chopped)
Chick Peas 1 can (850 grams or 2 small cans)
Ginger 1 tsp.
Garlic 1 tsp.
Green Chili 1 small
Chana Masala 1 ½ tbsp. I’ve been using the MDH brand, found at a local Indian grocery
my variation: 1/2 tbsp. Ground cumin
Salt 1 ½ tsp (or to taste)
Lemon juice 2 tsp.
Coriander leaves 1 tbsp. I use more like 3 tbsp.
Oil 2 tbsp.
Water 1 ½ cup
(Some onion slices, Green chili, lemon wedges on the side.)
1. Peal and finely chop onion. Wash and finely chop tomatoes.
2. Peal and grate ginger and garlic. (Or use ready made Ginger and Garlic paste)
3. Slice and chop the green chili. Wash and chop the coriander leaves.
4. Open the Chick peas can and drain water from the peas. Wash with cold water
and drain to wash off excess salt.
5. Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add chopped onions and sauté until golden brown.
6. Add chopped green chili and ginger and garlic paste. Stir-fry for two minutes on
7. Add chana masala. Stir-fry for two minutes.
8. Add tomatoes. Cook for 4-5 minutes stirring frequently until the oil starts
separating from the mixture.
9. Add chick peas and stir it for a minute. Add the water. Bring to a boil. Cover and
simmer 8 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
10. Add the salt, lemon juice and half of the chopped coriander leaves. Mash a few
chick peas with the back of the spoon and stir.
11. Remove pan from the heat. Garnish the chole with remaining coriander leaves.
12. Serve hot with rice or paratha accompanied with sliced onions, green chili and
1. Fresh tomatoes can be substitutes with one 8 oz can of tomato puree.
2. Canned chick peas can be substituted with one cup dry chick peas. Clean, wash
and soak them overnight. Boil them with ½ tsp. salt until soft. Drain.
3. Chana masala, salt and lemon juice can be adjusted to taste.
4. If the gravy becomes two thick add some water.
5. You can make Kidney beans using the same recipe. Substitute chana masala with
Rajmah masala and chick peas with kidney beans.