1. When a recipe calls for "plain soy milk," am I to assume the regular, sweetened kind (like Silk Plain, which is what I have been using), or unsweetened? So far I don't think using sweetened has had any real adverse affect, but I'm always wary of inadvertently oversweetening.
2. I'm constructing a small shrine in my apartment to whomever posted the recipe for black & white cookies that I dug out of the memories. ( Collapse )
3. This past weekend was my first attempt at vegan entertaining, as I was hosting my book club's monthly meeting. I didn't really have any specific plan in mind; was just going to wing it. Despite being very, very hungover I managed to pull together two dishes that received high praise from my omniviorous friends. The first was a pseudo-pie - I just made a phyllo "pie crust" and heated some frozen berries w/ sugar and cornstartch, combined, and baked. The second was a faux-fritata: Again, make a "crust" w/ phyllo in a casserole dish, mix up tofu and veggies as I would for a tofu scrambler, combine, bake, voila! The fritata especially was a big hit - a few people requested the "recipe". It did hurt, though, to not be able to eat the home-baked cinnamon rolls and banana bread my friends brought over :(
4. Just wanted to thank everybody here for being so helpful and answering my questions and giving me such lovely recipes to sift through every day. I had been lacto-ovo for 10 years and decided for New Years (my 10th veggie birthday) to go vegan for a month in order to force me to diversify my diet/rely less on cheese. So I did, and this community was a big help. And so January passed, and somehow I managed to survive without cheese. Since I'd managed to accomplish the impossible (the whole month without cheese thing), when February rolled around I figured, eh, why not keep going? And so I have. I'm not making any promises, but this vegan thing has worked out pretty well for me so far, so I might just keep at it. So thank you all for helping me make the switch.
5. For your amusement, this is what happens when I try to cook anything in my apartment. I get "helpers".( Collapse )