So I made the chocolate macadamia nut balls out of Vegan Planet last weekend (only with pecans), but I was dismayed by the amount of fat in the nuts. So I changed a few things and came up with this:
1.5C granola-oat like cereal (I used some with hemp seeds out of the bulk bin)
1.5C dried pitted dates
1t almond extract
1/4C unsweetened cocoa powder
1C unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Grind up .5C of the granola to a powder in the food processor.
2. Meanwhile, soak the dates in hot water to soften (I used boiling water for about 10 min).
3. Slowly add the dates to the food processor with the granola powder until it looks kind of like a batter.
4. Add the cocoa powder and the almond extract to the mix.
5. Remove the mix from the food processor and stir in the remaining granola. If the granola is in large clumps, chop it first.
6. Spoon into 36 balls, and roll them in the coconut.
You can eat them as is, but I like to put them on a cookie sheet and refrigerate, then I transfer them to plastic bags and freeze. The original called for nuts instead of granola, and vanilla extract instead of almond. I like these because they're low in fat, and are sweetened only by the dates, which is just perfect.