Christmas Pud from The Vegan Family House
4oz/120g glace cherries, halved
10z/300g ground almonds
4oz/120g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
8oz/230g dark brown molasses sugar
4oz/120gsoft, fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
8oz/230g vegetable suet
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp black treacle
4 floz/125ml/half a cup soya milk
- soak the sultanas in plenty sherry
- Grease a 2 pint pudding basin.
- Put the soaked fruit, cherries and ground almonds into a large bowl.
- Add the flour, salt, spices, sugar, breadcrumbs, suet, lemon zest and juice, treacle, soya milk and 4 tbsp sherry. Mix well to make a soft mixture.
- Spoon into the basin, cover with two layers of greased foil and tie down.
- Steam for 4 hours. Cool.
- Cover with a circle of greaseproof paper and two layers of tinfoil.
- To reheat steam for three hours as before. (I have to say that when I make it I prick the pudding and feed some more sherry or brandy into it...) and don't forget that after it is reheated pour MORE brandy over it and set it on fire.