Here is a cake I made before Christmas.
It's an apple and sultana cake the recipe is as follows:
12oz plain flour
8oz chopped apple (peeled and cored - pieces should be small, possibly grated would be better)
6oz vegetable marge
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground mixed spices
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp vinegar (I use malt vinegar, but white wine vinegar works too)
1/2 pint apple juice
1. Sieve the flour, ground spices, salt, sugar and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
2. Add the marge and rub until you get a crumbly mixture.
3. Add the fruit and stir well.
4. Mix the vinegar and juice then stir them into the dry ingredients really well.
5. Pour into a lined cake tin.
6. Bake in the oven for 1 hr 45 mins at 170C.
p.s. tsp=teaspoon, tbsp=tablespoon. sorry measures are in imperial.