Tempeh Marinara Subs
1 package of tempeh, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
1/2 to 2/3 jar of marinara sauce
1/2 green pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 package of mushrooms, sliced
garlic powder, basil, black pepper to taste
1 tsp olive oil
1 loaf whole wheat ciabatta bread or ciabatta rolls
1. Bring pot of lightly salted water to a boil and add tempeh
2. At the same time, in a skillet with a tsp of olive oil, start sauteeing green pepper, onion, and mushrooms on medium low heat.
3. When water in tempeh pot returns to a boil, boil for 2-3 minutes, then drain tempeh, let sit for a bit to drain well.
4. When peppers, onions, and mushrooms are almost completely cooked, add tempeh and sautee for a few more minutes.
5. Add marinara sauce and desired spices. Stir until heated through.
6. Slice ciabatta bread, stuff with a layer of tempeh strips, peppers, onions, mushrooms, sauce.
This would probably be very good with vegan cheese, too.
Makes 3-6 servings, depending on how hungry you are.