1 can salt free diced tomatoes, or equivalent amount diced fresh
1 can pinto beans
1/2 cup TVP
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 bag frozen chopped spinach
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/3 10oz package mushrooms, sliced
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
soy sauce to taste
2.5 T cornstarch, mixed with a few T water
ciabatta rolls (I've developed an obsession with ciabatta bread, in case you couldn't tell)
1. Dump tomatoes into saucepan, mush up with a potato masher
2. Add rest of ingredients except cornstarch.
3. Cook on medium-low heat until fresh veggies are about 2/3 way cooked to desired texture.
4. Add cornstarch and water, mix well.
5. Cook until thick and wonderfully goopy.
6. Slice ciabatta rolls and spoon on about 2/3 cup sloppy popeye, and enjoy!
This also might be good with vegan cheese.
Makes a crapload of servings (6 to 8, maybe?)