You can play with the spices a little bit here... try cumin, bay, basil, or tumeric. We just used what was on hand. It was perfect, but the spices were not necessarily the most obvious flavour. You could also use a bit of "jerk" seasoning in place of all spices... if it's spicy jerk seasoning you may want to omit the chili pepper as well.
I made this in a wok. You'll need a big pot or wok to make it. Feeds 6.
1.5 tbsp Coconut Oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 tbsp dried fenugreek
1.5 tsp paprika
2 tsp coriander
1 red chili pepper, diced
500mL (2 cups) coconut milk
1 large can peeled tomatoes
4 yellow mangoes, peeled, pitted and chopped
1/3 cup shredded coconut
4 cups brown rice, cooked to an "almost done" state
1. Melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add red onion and sautee. Add spices and toss til onion starts to become translucent and spices are well distributed.
2. Add coconut milk and chili pepper and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer.
3. Chop canned, peeled tomatoes into bite-sized pieces. Add tomatoes and all juice to simmering coconut milk. Bring to a boil and simmer again.
4. Let simmer and reduce for 15 - 20 minutes. Add rice, shredded coconut and mango. Stir til well mixed. Heat through.
5. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve. Top with toasted coconut or sesame seeds if desired.