My friends are visiting for the weekend. So I decided to cook for them. I love cooking, so why not? I used my mother's recipe for rice Mexicano, and a few different recipes and my own doctoring for mole.
1.5 cups long grain white rice
1 large tomato
1 large clove garlic
1 small onion
1/4 cup canola oil
1 packet of sazon (goya brand)
3.5 cups veggie broth
1 grated carrot
1/2 bag frozen fiesta mix vegetables (peas, corn, black beans)
1. soak rice in hot water for about 15 minutes, drain well
2. blend tomato, onion, and garlic in blender
3. fry rice in oil until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
4. Add tomato puree and sazon. Stir until almost absorbed, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the broth, carrot and fiesta mix. Stir
6. Cover and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
7. When chimneys appear place a large piece of terrycloth over the surface.
8. Continue to cook over very low flame for about 5 or 10 minutes.
9. Set aside for about 30 minutes, do not open it!
Quick vegetables and mole
1 tbs olive oil
1 small minced onion
1 clove garlic
3 tbs ground dried chiles (ancho, pasilla, etc)
1 cup veggie broth
1 oz (one round) Mexican chocolate
1/8 c smooth hazelnut butter (or any nut butter)
1/4 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
a bit of powdered cloves
about 1/4 cup salsa
1 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 package frozen fiesta veggies
10-12 baby carrots, sliced in rounds and steamed
1 can black beans, drained.
1. Sautee onion and garlic in oil until tender.
2. Add remaining sauce ingredients and simmer 20-25 minutes.
3. Stir in frozen veggies and carrots.
4. Serve warm