Festive Chickpea Tart by Dreena Burton, from VegNews December 2007
"If faux turkeys aren't your thing, try this savory tart made with chickpeas, walnuts, spinach, cranberries, and thyme - all nestled in a flaky pie shell."
Serves 4 to 5
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
3/4 cup celery, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 14-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed (reserving 1/4 cup)
3/4 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons tamari
1 1/4 cups frozen chopped spinach
3 1/2 tablespoons dried cranberries
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 9-inch prepared whole-wheat pie shell, thawed
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon tamari
2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped (garnish)
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook for 7 to 9 minutes until onions begin to soften and caramelize. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, add chickpeas (except reserved 1/4 cup), walnuts, lemon juice, and tamari, and pulse to lightly chop (do not purée). Remove half of chopped mixture from food processor and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Transfer sautéed onions to the remaining mixture in food processor. Purée until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
4. Transfer purée to bowl with lightly chopped chickpea and walnut mixture. Add spinach, cranberries, parsley, thyme, and 1/4 cup of reserved chickpeas. Stir to combine and transfer to prepared pie shell, spreading evenly.
5. Combine oil and tamari, and brush on top of pie and crust. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake for 33 to 38 minutes until lightly browned. Garnish with parsley, cut in wedges, and serve with cranberry sauce."