Have all ingredients chopped and ready, and keep them in constant motion over high heat while cooking so they get crisp on the outside and stay tender inside.
* 3 Tbs. maple syrup
* 3 Tbs. orange juice
* 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
* 1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
* 1 12-oz. pkg. seitan, shredded
* 3/4 cup cashews
* 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. sesame oil
* 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips (about 1 cup)
* 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
* 1 Tbs. minced ginger
* 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
* 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
* 6 Tbs. orange juice
* 1 Tbs. arrowroot powder
1. To make Glazed Seitan: Combine syrup, juice and soy sauce in small bowl.
2. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add seitan, and stir-fry 4 minutes, or until golden. Add maple syrup mixture, and simmer 3 minutes, or until seitan is coated with glaze. Transfer to bowl. Wipe out skillet.
3. To make Stir-Fry: Toast cashews in dry skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Transfer to bowl. Heat 1 Tbs. sesame oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and edamame, and stir-fry 2 minutes.
4. Move vegetables to sides of skillet, and pour remaining 1 tsp. oil in center. Add ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes, and stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in 2 Tbs. water, Glazed Seitan and cashews. Cover, and cook 2 minutes, or until pepper is tender.
5. Combine orange juice and arrowroot powder. Stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat, and serve.
Per SERVING: Calories: 421, Protein: 32g, Total fat: 19g, Carbs: 33g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 346mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 15g
nuts - cashews, meat substitutes - seitan