Till then, I have a bunch of questions aimed towards those who have some hands-on experience with the stuff:
- from what I've been able to read online, this is a drink made by fermenting black (indian) tea
* anyone know the caffeine content of the final product? I had to give up caffeinated beverages as they really didn't agree with me; one of these days I'll try to bully a doctor into checking if I'm allergic or sensitive or something to it.
* can it be made with some other kind of tea (green, some herbal kind, etc.)?
- our mother reported she'd heard of kombucha fermented with raisins (as a substitute for the sugar, is my guess)
* any other ways/kinds it can be made? (there were mentions of different flavors...?)
- I understand the brewing should not be done under direct sunlight, but what are the optimal temperatures? (Should George & George be moved next to a mild heat source during the cold periods, or can they stay in the not-heated areas of the house?)
- the previous kombucha-related post ended up with a bunch of negative put-downs in the comments which had very little facts backing them there
* could anyone offer some well-supported negatives of doing the whole "kombucha thing"?
- and last but not least, taking