1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed
1/2 lb whole wheat penne rigate
1 clove garlic, peeled and mashed
1/2 batch of Cashew Ricotta from Veganomicon
1 T olive oil
Fresh ground black pepper (optional)
Vegan parmesan, such as Parma (optional)
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil and add salt (a teaspoon or so). Add asparagus, cook until tender but firm (approx. 3-5 minutes). While asparagus is cooking, ready an ice bath.
2. Remove asparagus with tongs and put in ice bath to stop cooking.
3. Bring water back to boil and add pasta. Cook according to package instructions (approx. 10 minutes).
4. While pasta is cooking, rub inside of serving bowl with garlic. Combine cashew ricotta, olive oil, and 1/4 cup of pasta water in bowl.
5. Cut asparagus into small pieces (approx. 1/2 inch each), leaving tips intact.
6. When pasta is done cooking, drain and add to "ricotta" mixture.
7. Fold in asparagus.
8. Season with fresh ground pepper and vegan parmesan to taste.
Adapted from this recipe.