Vegan Tomato/Pasta Sauce:
- 540 ml (19 oz) "Italian" style stewed tomatoes (canned)- I used Aylmer brand
- roughly half a medium zucchini, medallions chopped into quarters
- 4 large button mushrooms, chopped
- 1-1.5 tbsp chopped onion
- 1-2 Garlic cloves, minced
- couple of pinches of dried oregano
- roughly 1tsp of Italian seasoning mix- Mine is Club House brand, and includes Marjoram, Thyme, Rosemary, Savory Sage, Oregano and Sweet Basil.
- 2 pinches Garlic Powder (or a bit more, if you like it)
- 1tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Simmer garlic, garlic powder and herbs in olive oil in large saucepan for a few minutes on medium heat. Carefully add in tomatoes, stirring regularly. Allow to simmer on low heat until tomatoes start looking cooked. Add in zucchini and onions, allow to simmer until zucchini skins are bright green. Finally, add mushrooms and simmer on low heat until they're soft.
Remove roughly 3/4 of the saucepan's contents, and place in blender. Blend on low power until large chunks are gone. Re-add contents of blender to saucepan. Stir, reheat and serve with pasta or gnocchi.
Makes ~3 servings.