now, i don't have a blender and i don't really wanna have this thing sit in my crock pot for 5-7 hours.
does anybody think we could do this recipe without a blender and somewhat quicker?
if not, do you have any good first time chicken flavored seitan recipes you'd like to share for some newbies?
thanks in advance!
"Chicken" Seitan (adapted from this recipe)
- 2 c. vital wheat gluten flour
- 1/2 c. full-fat chickpea flour
- 1/2 c. nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 c. "chicken" broth powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic granules
- 12 oz. firm tofu (not silken) (I squeeze the water out and then measure)
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 c. boiled water
- 1/3 c. "chicken" broth powder
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
1. Whisk all dry mix ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Put all wet mix ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add to dry mix.
3. Knead in a counter-top mixer, or on knead cycle in a bread machine for 10 mins. Let rest for 30-60 mins. Knead 10 mins more. Remove dough from bowl. Cut off chunks and flatten with wet hands (shape into something that looks like a small chicken breast--it will double in size when cooked).
4. Put basting broth in an oiled Crock Pot on low. Slide in seitan pieces one by one. Cook for 5-7 hours, turning pieces 2 times.
TIP: Gluten flour takes a while to firm up and absorb the liquid. If the dough seems too wet, just give it time and let it rest--it will all come together. I find it helpful to use the batter attachment for my mixer first, then the dough hook.