* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 8 tablespoons Earth Balance
* 2 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 4 cups coarsely shredded apples, such as Macintosh (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; set aside. Cream butter and sugar (using a mixer) until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in apple sauce and vanilla.
2. Mix in shredded apples to butter mixture. Add flour mixture; mix, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until just combined.
3. Fill lined cups halfway with batter; bake until tops are springy to the touch, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from tins. When completely cool, frost cupcakes with something yummy like a Tofutti cream cheese based frosting.
it's just a yummy spice cake and the shredded apples give it the consistency of a carrot cake. soooo good!
also, i've been known to make a dark rum simple syrup and brush the tops of these bad boys when they get out of the oven. and then, frost as usual.
delicious with some hot apple cider!