VANILLA CAKE (Serves 8)
Here’s a simple white cake recipe.
• 1/2 cup soft soy margarine
• 2-3/4 cups all-purpose white flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
• 1/4 cup water
• 3/4 cup soy milk
• 1/2 cup water
• 1-3/4 cups sugar
• 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Spray two round 8" x 1-2/3" pans with Pam, or lightly oil and flour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside. Mix Egg Replacer and 1/4 cup water and set aside. Mix soy milk and 1/2 cup water, and set aside.
In large bowl of electric mixer, beat soy margarine until it is creamy, about a minute. Gradually add sugar until well creamed. Beat in vanilla. Add mixed dry ingredients and mixed soy milk/water alternately to creamed margarine, sugar, and vanilla, beating after each addition. Begin and end with flour mixture. (Add flour in 4 steps, liquids in three.) Add mixed Ener-G along with the third addition of liquid. Turn evenly into pans.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until done (wooden pick inserted into cake comes out clean). Remove from oven and let cool on cake rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool on rack until cold. Frost as desired.
Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting
• 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
• 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine
• 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
1. Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
2. Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
Variation:Cookies ‘n’ Cream Frosting (pictured): Stir into frosting 1/2 cup (about 5 cookies; mash first, then measure) of finely mashed vegan chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies (Oreos). Frost cupcakes generously, and top each cupcake with half of a sandwich cookie.