Anyway, right away I put the paper bag they were in into a plastic bag to keep them from drying out, and I put this in the fridge. And then, clearly, neglected them.
I will use them tonight, by Jove, but I could use some help on determining how much to use. About half of them had some portion of them turn a darker brown and slightly--but not very--slimy. However, the whole lot of them smell like perfect, fresh mushrooms. None of that weird fishiness that button mushrooms get when they go off.
I've trimmed off the dark parts and feel comfortable sauteing up the rest. But would it be a bad idea to throw the dark areas into a homemade broth?