Prep Time: 10 min - Total Time: 52 min - Makes: 24
What You Need
- 1 pkg (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix
- 125 g (½ pkg) PHILADELPHIA Brick Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ c KRAFT Smooth Peanut Butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 48 Mini OREO Cookies
- 1½ c thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Prepare cake batter as directed on package; set aside. Beat cream cheese, 6 tbsp peanut butter, egg and sugar with whisk until blended. Spoon 2 tbsp cake batter into each of 24 paper or foil-lined muffin cups; top each with 1½ tsp cream cheese mixture and 1 cookie. Cover with remaining cake batter.
- BAKE 22 min or until toothpick inserted in centres comes out clean. Cool 5 min; remove cupcakes from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- STIR remaining peanut butter into Cool Whip with whisk until blended. Spread over cupcakes. Top with remaining cookies just before serving.
I know that both the Oreos (so long as they're brand name) & the CoolWhip (so long as it's my store brand, which doesn't have any casein in it) are vegan, that I can get vegan cake mix, that maple syrup is yummier than regular sugar & guaranteed vegan & that the egg can be replaced with egg-replacer (which I think? I can buy at my local grocery store), but I'm wondering if the cream cheese is really substitutable with Tofutti's Better-Than-stuff & have it all taste relatively right?
Anyone ever experiment with something similar & have ideas/suggestions for converting? Perhaps a cheaper/more likely to already be in my house idea for the egg-replacer? Would applesauce work? Or maybe soymilk?