i made this recipe www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10982 last sunday, and paired it with roasted vegetables.
here's a copy and paste for the link-shy:
Grilled Eggplant with Summer Herb Relish
Vegetarian Times Issue: May 1, 2009 p.42 — Member Rating: -
This pesto-like herb relish is so good, it’s worth trying on gluten-free pastas and salads as well.
Serves 4Herb Relish
- 2 cups packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint
- 3 green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. fresh oregano leaves (i couldn't find fresh oregano at the grocery store, so i subbed fresh basil)
- 2 Tbs. capers
- 3 Tbs. pine nuts
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced (1 lb.)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
Directions1. To make Herb Relish: Purée ingredients with 5 Tbs. water in blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. To make Eggplant: Heat grill pan over medium heat. Brush eggplant slices with oil. Grill slices 3 minutes per side, or until tender. Spread 1/2 tsp. relish on each eggplant slice, and serve.
pureeing herb relish ingredients in the ol' food processor:
beautiful, isn't it?
oiling my eggplant slices:
raw veggies (mushrooms, zucchini, and tomato sprinkled with lawry's and black pepper) ready to go in a 375F oven for about 20 min. total (turning once half-way through):
it started raining buckets as i was prepping the herb relish, so i went for sauteing the eggplant instead:
roasted veggies from the oven:
an om nom close-up:
sauteed eggplant, divided in serving sizes. they look really dark, almost burnt, but were actually the perfect amount of done:
if, however, you're super hungry and don't plan ahead to include some type of grain (pasta, garlic bread, etc.) to go with your eggplant, just double the serving size, eat with your roasted veggies, and enjoy!
because the relish was mostly parsley and mint, it had a super bright, refreshing mouth-feel. this is definitely a green sauce to eat during the summer. also, i had about 1/2 a cup leftover relish to enjoy as a dip on raw veggies later in the week.