I would like to bring something where the look of the dish doesn't seem off-putting. When I think Thansgiving, I also think of a cheesy-type casserole. So here's my query. I found this dish, but is it able to be decently veganized? It seems pretty reliant on eggs, dairy and I'm not good with major substitutions... I prefer something with little soy (my body revolts), but I'm willing to try anything. For those who have made their own cheezes (I remember an almond feta that looked as if it might work in this) are there any you think would work best? Thank you everyone!
Butternut Squash and Cheddar Bread Pudding
2 lb's peeled, seeded butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 c)
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1.5 tsp coarse kosher salt plus additional for sprinkling
7 lg eggs
2.25 c half-and-half
6 Tbsp dry white wine
1.5 tsp Dijon mustard
1 day-old baguette, torn into 1-inch pieces (about 10 c)
1 c chopped shallots (about 4 lg)
2 bunches Tuscan kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped (about 1 lb)
8 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
1. Preheat oven to 400 deg F. Toss squash with 1 Tbsp oil on rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt; bake until tender, turning occasionally, 20-25 min.
2. Whisk eggs in lg bowl. Add half-and-half, wine, mustard and 1.5 tsp coarse salt; whisk to blend. Add baguette pieces; fold gently into egg mixture. Let soak 30 min, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp oil in lg pot over med-high heat. Add shallots and saute until soft, stirring frequently, about 5 min. Ad kale; cover and cook 2 min. Uncover and stir until kale is wilted, but still bright green, about 5 min.
4. Reduce oven temp to 350 deg F. Generouly butter 9x13-inch baking dish. Using slotted spoon, transfer half of bread from egg mixture to prepared baking dish, arranging to cover most of dish. Spoon half of kale over bread. Spoon half of squash over bread and kale; sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat with remaining bread, kale, squash and cheese. Pour remaining egg mixture over bread pudding.
5. Cover bread pudding with foil. Bake 20 min. Remove foil; bake uncovered until custard is set and bread feels springy to touch, about 20 min longer.
6. Preheat broiler; broil pudding until cheese browns slightly, about 2 min. Cool 5 min and serve.