This is my first Yule as a vegan (I went from vegetarian to vegan in April), and so far, it's been a marvelous, wonderful ride. This little blip doesn't necessarily make it any less marvelous or wonderful, but just a wee bit frustrating. ;D I've got lovely vegan recipes for sugar cookies and gingerbread, so I'm all set there...but my utter favorite cookie is peanut butter blossoms, and no matter how much Google-fu I use, I can't find a good vegan recipe for them. I suppose I could try and veganize the recipe myself (I've had good luck thus far, just using old family recipes and substituting this for that), but the part that's killing me is the chocolate blossoms! Traditionally, they're Hershey's kisses, which aren't vegan...what could I use as a substitute?
Any and all advice on this would make me ridiculously happy~ :) Thank you so much!!
* 48 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 3/4 cup REESE'S Creamy Peanut Butter
* 1/3 cup granulated sugar
* 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
* 1 egg
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* Granulated sugar
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates.
2. Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into center of each cookie; cookie will crack around edges. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 4 dozen cookies.