I made this vegan chocolate cake for Thanksgiving using a slightly altered version of the recipe I found on Instructables. I decreased the sugar, used whole wheat flour, and substituted the oil with apple sauce. :)
-1 1/4 cup flour (I used a combo of whole wheat and all purpose flour)
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 cup warm water
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
-1 tsp distilled white vinegar
-1/3 cup sugar
-4 tbsp margarine
-2 tbsp soymilk
-2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-almond flakes (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2.Mix all the dry ingredients for the cake. (Use a fork to stir and make sure it's thoroughly mixed.)
3. Add the wet ingredients for the cake. Use spatula to mix until smooth and pour into an 8x8 cake pan, or a pie pan in my case.
4. Bake for 30 minutes. Stick a knife into it to check if it's done; it should come out clean. If not, leave it in there for 5-10 more minutes.
5. Let it cool for about 1 hour.
6. Mix all the ingredients for the glaze in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 2 minutes. Remember to keep stirring!
7. Let the glaze cool for about a minute before pouring it evenly onto the cake. Sprinkle with almond flakes or a topping of your choice.
8. Stick in the fridge overnight, or 2 hours if you can't wait any longer.
Original post on my blog: here.