MAY KAIDEE’S RED/GREEN CHILI PASTE RECIPE
Blend the following with a mortar and pestle or blender:
2 tablespoons of green or red chili
1 tablespoon of each of the following-
- Kaffir lime leaf
- Galangal (Thai ginger)
- Lemon Grass
- Cumin Powder
Blend until all ingredients are completely crushed and a smooth paste has been created.
I can't believe I've been buying store-bought paste this whole time. I had no idea it was that easy.
Now that you’ve made your chili paste, you are ready to make some curry!
For cooking class I made:
GREEN THAI CURRY
In the wok put:
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of green chili paste (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 crushed kaffir lime leaf
- 1 slice of crushed galangal
- 1 inch of cut lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon of coconut milk
- 1 handful of mixed veggies (you can use any vegetable you’d like, we used eggplant, green beans, squash, kale, carrots and onions)
- 3 tablespoons of coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of mixed light and dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of unrefined sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons of coconut milk
- 3-4 chopped mint or Thai basil leaves
Makes one serving.
Miss On was happy that I loved my food really spicy and happily threw in extra chili and garlic on everything we made. Here is Miss On with the completed extra spicy green curry:
I found her youtube video which shows you how to make a perfect green curry in 6 minutes. The audio is a bit rough so just refer to the recipe I posted for the complete list of ingredients and watch Miss On work her magic in the kitchen.
Another thing I never realized was so easy to cook was peanut sauce. Here is an easy, yet incredibly amazing...
PEANUT SAUCE RECIPE:
- oil (You can use any kind but I think soy bean or sesame works best)
- 1/2 of a coarsely chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon of red or Tom Yum chili paste (either one works well)
- 6 tablespoons of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of crushed roasted ground peanuts
- 2 teaspoons of vegan sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice (I squeezed 1/2 a lime)
- 1/2 tablespoon of mixed light and dark soy sauce
Reduce the heat a little and add your red or Tom Yum chili paste and fry until fragrant. Then add 6 tablespoons of coconut milk and crushed peanuts. Add more coconut milk if the sauce becomes too thick.
Once you have the right consistency which should be a creamy texture, add the sugar, lime juice and soy sauce.
You can use this sauce as a dip for spring rolls and would even make a great salad dressing. I loved it on my Pad Thai: