A good reason to save your mushroom stems...
Cheaters' Miso Soup
- mushroom broth (however much you want)
- extra-firm tofu, fried (unless you prefer it raw)
- vermicelli noodles (those tiny white strandy ones)
- miso paste (I used awake (aka + shiro) miso paste, it was a light tan color)
- leafy greens of choice (kale, spinach, etc.)
- green onions, chopped
- mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
- salt, to taste
Cut and fry your tofu and chop your veggies. Set aside. Simmer your mushroom broth with the mushrooms, garlic and a pinch of salt for a few minutes. Turn heat to low and add in vermicelli noodles and leafy greens. Stir. The vermicelli noodles will soften in the hot water pretty quickly. Once noodles are good, turn off heat and stir in about a tablespoon of miso paste. Stir until combined and taste the broth. Add more miso paste and salt if desired. Be aware that the miso is very salty itself though! Pour into a bowl, top with chopped green onions and eat! Mmm!
More photos, recipes and more @ Vegan Nom Noms!