1 cup dry lentils, sorted and rinsed
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 sweet potato (or any kind), diced into ¾ " cubes
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tofurkey sweet italian "sausages", sliced in half and chopped into 1" pieces
4 ½ cups vegetable broth
½ tsp ground cumin
1 bay leaf
½ cinnamon stick
handful of parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for sautéing
1. place the broth, lentils, cumin, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick in a soup pot and bring to a boil. cover and simmer at a low boil until the lentils are cooked through, maybe 30 minutes.
2. in a skillet, heat a bit of olive oil over med-high heat and toss in the onions and garlic. fry for one minute or so, then add the carrots, celery, and sweet potatoes. cook the vegetables for 5 minutes or so, stirring, until the carrots and celery are halfway done.
3. add the vegetables to the lentils and broth, which should be a bit thicker by now. let this simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender.
4. heat very little oil in the skillet once again over med-high heat. add the sausage pieces and fry until browned and heated through.
5. add the sausage and parsley to the soup, stir, and remove from heat.
6. season to taste with salt and pepper.