This is from "Vegan Vittles" by joanne stepaniak
1 1/2 cups instant gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. of each garlic and onion
1 cup water
3 Tbl. soy sauce/braggs
some oil for sauteing
2 yellow onions, cut in half and thickly slices
2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 16 oz. can tomato sauce (2 cups)
1 cup bottled barbecue sauce
1 cup water
1 Tbl. soy sauce
1. mix the dry
2. mix wet.
3. mix together. It will be spongy. (if there is still flour add a TINY bit for water)
4. knead the gluent spongy thing in the bowl for about 1 min, just to blend. Slice the gluten into 6 equal parts.
5. pan fry the gluten strips until they are glodenish brown on both sides. When they are cooking make sure they don't touch each other.
6. put the cooked gluten on a paper towel to drain. Then transfer to some lasanga type dish
7. preheat oven to 325 F
8. saute the onions until they are brownish and carmelizing. Add the carrots and cook until they soften. Add garlic, then tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, water and soy sauce. Bring to a boil then down to simmer.
9. pour the sauce over the "ribs" in the dish so they are evenly coated.
10. Cook uncovered for 1 1/2 hours turning them every 30 minutes.
Now I never said they were easy, just damn good! My meat eating, hunter dad even liked them!