Veggie Pot Pie
* 1 pie crust
* 1-2 med/large potatoes, peeled and in small cubes
* 1 cup frozen/fresh/or canned peas
* 2-3 carrots, sliced
* 1 large package of extra firm tofu, drained and cubed
* 1/2 cup celery (optional)
* 1/4 cup or 1 small can mushrooms (optional)
* 1 large onion, diced
* bay leaves (very important!)
* 2 (non-tomato) vegetable bouillon cubes
* 3 cloves chopped garlic
Pie crust recipe below. Or you can use your own recipe/store bought crust.
First, saute the onion in oil or Earth Balance spread, in a large pot until the onion turns translucent. Dissolve the bouillon cubes in about 8-10 ounces (1-1 1/2 cups) of hot water, and add potatoes and bouillon mixture to pot, cooking on medium heat and stirring frequently. After 5 minutes, add the tofu, the rest of the vegetables, the bay leaves, and garlic, and cover. Cook for 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked and the mixture is not too liquidy. If there is an excess of watery broth, leave the lid off for a while so some cooks off, or add a little flour to make it thicker. If there is no liquid and it seems dry, add a little more broth or water.
When mixture is done, spoon it into the pie crust, and bake (open top) for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Make sure the crust does not burn.
* 1 1/2 cups flour (see note below)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoon vegan sugar
* 1/2 cup oil
* 2 tablespoon vegan soymilk
Mix dry ingredients. Add liquids and mix with a fork. Pat into 9-inch pan with fingers.
This was so delicious! I had some leftovers today for lunch too :) mmmm.