Vegan Biscuits and Gravy for Lovers #14534
by Zeke Koch
When it's raining outside and you're hankering for some soul food whip up some vegan biscuits and gravy for your loved one(s) and spend the rest of the morning working them off in bed! — Nov 19, 2001
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup soy milk
1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups mushroom broth
3 tablespoons flour
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
1 sprig fresh thyme (optional)
1 tablespoon margarine
4 servings 30 minutes 10 mins prep
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Mix together liquid ingredients into a small bowl.
4. Cut margarine into pea sized pieces (in the flour).
5. Don't cut too small.
6. Add liquid ingredients and mix with a fork until it just starts to come together.
7. Push into a ball, knead just once or twice and roll out to 1/2 thick slab.
8. Cut into circles or squares, place on cookie sheet and bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes.
9. Now, on to the gravy.
10. Mix together 3/4 cup liquid, flour, salt, pepper and thyme (if you're using it) into a bottle and shake vigorously.
11. Heat margarine in pan and whisk in flour/stock mix.
12. Once it's incorportated add the rest of the liquid and stir over a low heat until it's set.
13. Pour over the piping hot biscuits and watch for the smiles.